Come out and hear some outrageous, funny and heartwarming true stories told in five minutes by your friends and neighbors from around the valley. The audience picks the winner, and a storytelling star is born! Grab a beer and get ready for a night of great entertainment. The winners of each slam will go on to compete in our “Best of Valley Voices” event!
This event is participating in the Card to Culture Program! They will be offering 10 seats at a discounted price of $10 to any patrons with a valid EBT, WIC, or ConnectorCare card. To purchase these tickets, please visit or call the box office Tuesday through Friday between 3:00pm and 6:00pm. Limit 4 tickets per cardholder per show. Tickets are sold on a first-come-first-serve basis. Find out more at: https://massculturalcouncil.org/organizations/card-to-culture/
The Academy will hold all shows at full capacity and this show will require no additional COVID precautions or requirements. Click here to read our health and safety policy. Fees always apply to purchase. Tickets can be purchased in person or over the phone Tuesday through Friday 3pm to 6pm. Tickets can also be purchased online at any time for no additional cost/fee. All Sales are final. If you have any questions about accessibility, please contact the box office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (413) 584-9032 X105.
HOW TO AUDITION:
During the set audition period, call our designated phone line at 413-735-6688 to share the first sentence of your story and your contact information. Please share only the first line of your story. Speak slowly and clearly when giving your line and your contact information.
Storytellers will be selected based on the strength of their first line and will be invited to share their story live at Valley Voices. Selected storytellers are encouraged to attend a free storytelling workshop, which will help to cultivate personal stories into performances. Storytellers will be offered the opportunity to purchase one ticket for a friend – we know you want moral support while you’re up on that stage!
Story Slam Rules
- Stories must be submitted for consideration through the designated phone line on the dates described above. Share the first line of your story as you would tell it the night of the slam. Your name, email and phone number need to be recorded on voicemail. *Please speak clearly and slowly. Phone line: 413-735-6688
- Stories must be personal, first-person narrative and from your life experience.
- Stories must be told without notes, props, costumes or musical instruments.
- Your story must relate to the theme.
- Each storyteller gets 5 minutes with a one-minute warning.
- You must be 18 or older and reside in New England.
- If you’ve participated in a Valley Voices story slam or auditioned for previous seasons you are welcome to re-audition. You may audition for all four events in Season 8.
- If you take 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in a slam, you cannot participate in other slams during the season (you will be moving on to the Best of Valley Voices in the spring!).
- All storytellers must agree to have their story recorded for use on the Valley Voices Podcast and filmed for the Valley Voices website by local cable access channels including Holyoke TV.
- The top 3 storytellers for each slam will go on to compete in the “Best of Valley Voices Story Slam” at the Academy of Music on April 22, 2023. If you are in the top three, you must commit to sharing a story for Best of Valley Voices. The top three storytellers will be featured on the Valley Voices podcast.
- Members of the Academy of Music and New England Public Radio staff will select 10 storytellers and 2 alternates for each slam.
- Selected storytellers will be notified and are invited to participate in a storytelling workshop before the Story Slam to hone their story.
- Audience members will be given Audience Choice Ballots and will choose their favorite story.
- A volunteer panel from the Academy of Music and NEPR will tabulate first, second, and third place winners.
The top 3 storytellers for each slam will go on to compete in the “Best of Valley Voices Story Slam” at the Academy of Music in April 2023. If you are in the top three, you must commit to sharing a story for Best of Valley Voices. The top three storytellers will also be featured on the Valley Voices podcast for that theme. Other stories collected could be used in other podcasts later in the season.
The Valley Voices Podcast is available at nepr.net and wherever you find your podcasts.
For more information, contact Lyrical Faith at 413-584-9032 EXT103 or at email@example.com, or Vanessa Cerillo at 413-735-6605 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 7:30 pm
Doors at 7:00 pm
$17.00 (All fees Included)
Where/ How Tickets Can be Purchased:
Purchase online using the button on the top right, or you may visit or call our box office at 413-584-9032 ext.105.
Box Office Hours are 3pm - 6pm, Tuesday - Friday. Service fees always apply with purchase.